Saturday, December 12, 2009

About Christmas' Past

When you're a kid, it just can't get any better than a piano that PLAYS BY ITSELF!! I am a lucky woman indeed, to have a magical piano in my memory bank! The anticipation while Grandma Trimble rolled up that magic paper and placed it inside that piano was almost unbearable! At last though, it was ready...she would push the trigger and away it would jingle. Oh, the thrill!! I longed to be able to push down the keys and form a melody and play as well as that piano!

I am sure this piano played its magic all year long, but I remember it most vividly at Christmas time. In my mind's eye I can still see it's uprightness, sitting in the corner of Grandma's dining room. On Christmas Day it was always overshadowed by the large table that was in the middle of the room, laden with all sorts of delectable food. The piano waited patiently while our family's appetites were satisfied and all the dishes were cleaned; then, it took center stage as it entertained us with it's own hearty version of "Silver Bells." Grandma told me once as we sat on the piano bench together that Silver Bells was her favorite Christmas song.

The years flew by and two significant things happened...the piano's ability to play by itself ceased (faulty mechanism of some kind) and I actually learned to play the piano on my own! The piano became rickety and a little out of tune; However, that didn't discourage me from playing my own rendition of Silver Bells on it every Christmas.

Bittersweet flavors memories such as these...But I am thankful for them just the same...they challenge me to carry on traditions that will eventually be placed in Mac and Vovie's memory banks! So...(as I lift to the skies my glass of Jolly)...here is to Silver Bells and the magic playing piano!! Soon it will be Christmas day!! Cheers and Ding a Ling!!

No comments:

Post a Comment